A lot of people are probably still looking at their Crock-Pots with a side-eye following that Superbowl episode of This Is Us. If anything, they’re focused more on the idea of causing an electrical fire, burning down their home, and dying from cardiac arrest than they are with slow-cooked chili.
But they shouldn't be. As Crock-Pot explained in a very thorough statement, the device isn’t at risk of killing you (a faulty smoke detector, though, might be). So, ahead, we had different food industry experts share their favorite slow-cooker recipes. Some require prep work, but, for the most part, the device does all the heavy lifting for you. And now that some time has passed since the episode showing (spoiler?) Jack’s death aired, hopefully, This Is Us fans can bring their Crock-Pots out of hiding.
Sweet Pulled Pork Tacos
"I know everyone is currently having a love affair with their instant pot, and I’m totally late to the bandwagon, but we can’t forget about the slow cooker. It’s been in my life for ages, and I will always love the fact that I can put an entire pork butt inside it with a few other ingredients, turn it on, and then leave the house and come back to a perfect batch of pulled pork. Then, just whip it into tacos!” —Gaby Dalkin of @whatsgabycookin
Ingredients (for the pork):
- 2 cups chipotle salsa
- 4 ounces, canned green chilies
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 pounds pork butt
- Kosher salt, to taste
- In the bottom of a large slow cooker, mix salsa, green chilies, and brown sugar.
- Add the pork and sprinkle with salt, cook on low for six to eight hours or on high for four to six.
- Take the meat out of the pot and shred with two forks.
- Return to the pot and mix with the sauce.
Ingredients (for the avocado sauce):
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 whole avocados
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Slice green onions and mash the avocados.
- Add lime, sour cream, cilantro, garlic, and salt.
- Mash to combine.