As fans of Big Little Lies know, the Jean-Marc Vallée-directed first season didn't skimp on mesmerizing shots of California's Monterey and Big Sur. When not showing picturesque waterside landscapes though, our screens were filled by the equally magnetic leading women—played by Reese Witherspoon (Madeline), Nicole Kidman (Celeste), Shailene Woodley (Jane), Laura Dern (Renata), and Zoë Kravitz (Bonnie)—and the impeccable, yet very different (much like the characters themselves), homes they inhabit.
If you identify strongly with one character or another, why not take that to the next level and decorate your apartment to channel their home? Ahead of Big Little Lies' Season 2 premiere this Sunday, check out our tips for making your home more like that of your favorite character and shop the decor inspired by the show, below.
Photo Courtesy of HBO
While Jane's home is meant to look like one put together on a more limited budget—she's a young, single mother who works as a part-time bookkeeper in an affluent neighborhood—it still exudes the charm and quirkiness of someone who scours flea markets on the weekend for fun. Pops of color—seen in the green wall paint, bold pillows, and red seating—warm up the space, as do vintage touches like an ornate frame on a bookshelf and a boudoir-like floor lamp by the window.
1. The Sill, Bird's Nest fern, $58, available at The Sill.
2. Ikea, Terje folding chair, $24.99, available at Ikea.
3. OSP, Papasan chair, $206.99, available at Target.
4. 34Pottery Barn, Eva colored glass table lamp, $90, available at Pottery Barn.
5. Urban Outfitters, Melody Rattan storage cabinet, $379, available at Urban Outfitters.
6. Lulu & Georgia x Glitter Guide, Elodie pillow, $55, available at Lulu & Georgia.
7. Jonathan Adler, Harlequin Fractal pillow, $198, available at Jonathan Adler.
8. Urban Outfitters, basic metal bed frame, from $129, available at Urban Outfitters.
9. 360 Lighting, cream scallop satin brass mercury glass floor lamp, $128.99, available at Lamps Plus.
10. World Market, macrame curtains with removable wood rings, $119.98 for two, available at World Market.
11. Zipcode Design, Folkston End Table, $39.99, available at Wayfair.
12. Ikea, Ung Drill frame, $24.99, available at Ikea.
Photo by Hilary Bronwyn Gayle/HBO
The majority of scenes at Madeline's home are held around the kitchen table where a variety of bowls, chargers, plate settings, and kitchen tools—like the bright green colander, wood salt and pepper shakes, and baskets—take center stage. Decor pieces like candles (housed in glass cloches), mismatched throw pillows, and decorative mirrors round out the other rooms.
1. Lulu & Georgia, Jenna indoor/outdoor pillow, $89, available at Lulu & Georgia.
2. Epicurious, two-piece stainless steel colander set in Sage Green, $29.99, available at Bed Bath & Beyond.
3. Starfish Flags Studio, rustic wood beach sign, $28.77, available at Etsy.
4. Safavieh, Hollywood Glam Tufted Acrylic Club Chair, $485.72, available at Hayneedle.
5. Crate & Barrel, candle glass cloche, $10.95, available at Crate & Barrel.
6. Williams Sonoma, wire fruit basket, $29.95, available at Williams Sonoma.
7. Charge It by Jay, Aflair beaded charger plate set in clear, $29.99 for a set of four, available at Bed Bath & Beyond.
8. West Elm, crushed bamboo pepper grinders, from $19.99, available at West Elm.
9. Anthropologie, Fringed mirror, $498, available at Anthropologie.
10. Threshold, Holden Slat Back Barstool, $89.24, available at Target.
11. Serena & Lily, Sandbar Tray, from $128, available at Serena & Lily.
12. Draper James x Crate and Barrel, Cookout enamel small bowl, $6, available at Draper James.
Renata's modern home is meant for entertaining—as witnessed by the birthday party scene in Season 1 and a themed party that will take place in Season 2. You will be hard-pressed to find a kitchen utensil that's not a wine glass or a chip and dip dish. Instead, this home is made of statement pieces, like decorative objects you can't help but want to touch, a semi-circle-shaped couch, and abstract art pieces.
1. Room & Board, Jewel vase, $30, available at Room & Board.
2. CB2, Curvo Light Grey Velvet Sofa, $1,999, available at CB2.
3. Jonathan Adler, Rio Arches pillow, $138, available at Jonathan Adler.
4. Schott Zwiesel, Modo white wine glasses, $47.95 for a set of four, available at Amazon.
5. Pottery Barn, Delaney marble round coffee table, $299, available at Pottery Barn.
6. West Elm, Sun-Kissed Landscape Rug, from $99, available at West Elm.
7. Crate & Barrel, Intarsia Black Console Table, $1,499, available at Crate & Barrel.
8. Joshua Schicker, No Turning Radius wall art, $199.99, available at World Market.
9. Sharona Creations, Ikat Diamond throw pillow, $30.80, available at Zazzle.
10. Villeroy & Boch, New Wave Eye-Catcher Chip & Dip Server, $202, available at Bloomingdale's.
11. Coaster Home Furnishings, Barcelona chair, $234.99, available at Amazon.
12. Brooklinen, throw blanket, $229, available at Brooklinen.
Celeste's home, shared with her abusive and controlling husband, exudes masculine-leaning energy with a lot of wood and metal furniture pieces. It is balanced to read more neutral with a predominantly blue color scheme, textured details like baskets, area carpets, and throws, and art-like flower arrangements and plants.
1. Mod Made, chrome wire counter stool, $143.55, available at Amazon.
2. CB2, Andes Acacia bed, from $599, available at CB2.
3. Lulu & Georgia, Sherline pendant, $803, available at Lulu & Georgia.
4. Burrow, Nomad Sofa Sectional, $1,845, available at Burrow.
5. Threshold, rectangle washed wood floor mirror, $89.99, available at Target.
6. Room & Board, Madison table lamp, $429, available at Room & Board.
7. The Citizenry, Mercado storage baskets, $95, available at The Citizenry.
8. Pier 1, Pretzel gray pillow, $4.99, available at Pier 1.
9. Ashley Furniture, Sweed Valley Natural And White Pouf, $75, available at Coleman Furniture.
10. Ebern Designs, Biehl hand loomed cotton area rug, from $37.99, available at Wayfair.
11. Tivoli Bella, ink blue velvet tufted armchair, $299.99, available at Lamps Plus.
12. Megan Morris, Navy Circular Strokes framed art, $192.99, available at FramedArt.com.
Photo by Jennifer Clasen/HBO
Bonnie's home, which we don't see nearly enough of, boasts organic details, in the form of wood furniture and oversized plants, and art knickknacks. Her home aesthetic is not without surprises though—as can be witnessed in the architectural decanter that she serves wine in during one episode and the unexpectedly bright area rug that appears in the otherwise neutral living room.
1. The Citizenry, San Cristobal wall hanging, $135, available at The Citizenry.
2. Z Gallerie, concentric coffee table, $238.99, available at Z Gallerie.
3. Bloomscape, Ficus Danielle, $195, available at Bloomscape.
4. Container Store, bamboo umbrella stand, $39.99, available at Container Store.
5. West Elm, carved wood side table, $249, available at West Elm.
6. World Market, Green Glass Teardrop Halsey Table Lamp Base, $54.99, available at World Market.
7. Safavieh, Amalia leather weave bench, $319.99, available at Target.
8. Joss & Main, Denya area rug, $44.99, available at Joss & Main.
9. Anthropologie, lotus votive, $48, available at Anthropologie.
10. Year and Day, All Day & Night Dip Dishes, $26 for a set of four, available at Year and Day.
11. Lenox, Tuscany Classics Pierced Decanter, $29.99, available at Bed Bath & Beyond.
12. Mt. Washington x Parachute, handmade ceramic vase, $129, available at Parachute.
NYLON uses affiliate links and may earn a commission if you purchase something through those links, but every product chosen is selected independently.